Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Win TV Go - 878 tuner recording works in XP!

Hi All,

For those whom use a computer to record TV with a tv tuner card, it can be very difficult to schedule and record tv programs for free.

Upgrade to XP
Recently I upgraded tv recording PC (PVR) from Windows 2000 to Windows XP. After I did the upgrade to XP WinTV provided by Hauppauge stopped being able to record MPEG1. I tried for many weeks installing the software that was provided on the US hauppauge support page
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_pci_878.html

Everything would install correctly but then I could not record in MPEG1 VCD format or MPEG2 2 mbit like I used to be able to in Windows 2000. I could record AVI but that is a huge file, and I don't want to convert this to another format.

Alternate Solutions
After reviewing gbpvr (did not install) and looking at all of the costly options such as beyond tv, myth tv, etc I found the Hauppauge UK support page!

The Solution
I found the Hauppauge UK support page with a whole set of instructions for Windows XP installation with my 878 based tuner card!
http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/support/support_new_pci.html

Version 5.9 cd I downloaded and installed the setup.exe --> this installer had specific instructions for XP. Shortly after I installed everything it worked!

Now I can use Titan Tv (http://www.titantv.com) to look up the local cable tv listings and schedule recordings! It creates an entry in the hauppauge scheduler program.

Once Again I am happy because I can record hockey games, adult swim programs that are on too late to watch.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home